October 13, 2011

Veni, vidi . . . . . DAMMIT!

The idea was born at Cannonfest, bloggers getting together to take in a game. After looking at the schedule and realizing that Game 4 would not be televised, #NoBloggerBlackout Night was born. The opportunity to bring home the first W of the season added extra meaning. And so we gathered at Nationwide last night: Matt from The Cannon, Tom aka The Dark Blue Jacket, Alison of Heart of a Jacket and me. 

My view for #NoBloggerBlackout Night. Speaking of
bottles,  I was ready to hit one after this game.
The seats were ridiculously good. Tom is a seat shark. He volunteered to get the tickets for this event. And boy did he! 103, Row E, three rows behind the back of Scott Arniel's melon. Well played Tom! This is the second time I have had the pleasure of taking in a game with Tom and both times it has been a blast! He's got a great sense of humor. If you regularly visit his blog you already know that. The Dark Blue Jacket is  approaching rock star status. And it is well earned.

She will probably kill me for saying this, but nobody rocks a CBJ sweater like Alison. I kept thinking people were looking at us all night and saying "Hey, those are all bloggers", but honestly I think they were checking out Alison. Especially when she proudly jumped to her feet in her Derek Dorsett jersey as DD was engaged in a pugilistic moment with Cody McLeod early in the first period. Alison is witty, extremely knowledgeable about hockey and somewhat mysterious. (She has sources who will remain anonymous.) If you aren't checking out her blog on a regular basis you are missing out.


As for the game, all I will say is 98.88% of the first 60 minutes was acceptable or better. The other 1.12% I would like to try to forget. I'm not going to go into details. If you want a detailed breakdown of the game, read this thorough first person account of the atrocity by Matt. By the way, Matt has proven himself to be one of the best and most prolific of the CBJ bloggers. Nobody bleeds union blue as much as Matt does. (Ask the CBJ fan who was sitting two rows in front of us who dared to ridicule the efforts of the home team.)

Seeing as the four of us didn't actually see either of the CBJ regulation goals because we were out on the concourse returning to our seats (ironically enough we did see them on TV), it is difficult for me to pick out a highlight. It was either a) listening to Matt sing the National Anthem or  b) watching with Alison in amusement as Tom scurried down the concourse to take a photo of a fan's jersey that he spotted  . . . a double-zero CBJ third with the name "Boomer" on the back. I'll go with Matt because it made me feel so patriotic. Honestly, he has some serious pipes. I'm not kidding when I say that he could easily stand in for Leo Welch if need be. It was very cool when, after the anthem was over, several other fans around us reached out to give Matt high fives and fist bumps.

There were other CBJ bloggers in attendance for #NoBloggerBlackout Night who already had tickets for the game and so they were unable to sit with us. But we still got to enjoy their company. During a planned meet-up by the cannon, I was able to chat with both Danielle (Strait Jackets) and Dan (Carry the Flag). I know Jeff from Ten Minute Misconduct was in the house, but I didn't see him. He was probably too busy writing his next opus magnum.

All in all, it was a stellar evening. Although we did not accomplish our goal of bringing home a W, at least we brought home a point. And that point is this: the CBJ blogging community is good people!


1 comment: